Cracking the Code: Tim Johnson’s Cyclocross Secrets
New York City – June 28, 2014 COMPLETED
Get ready for your best ‘cross season ever with cyclocross superstar Tim Johnson and coach Pete Webber!
- Learn from Tim & Pete’s combined 40 years of professional experience
- Structured curriculum by head coach Pete Webber
- Hands-on instruction to “crack the code” for cyclocross success
- Max ratio of 1 coach per 15 riders
- Check out the photos from 2012 and 2013
Tim Johnson is one of the most friendly and easy-going guys in the sport. He loves teaching ‘cross and his passion for the sport is contagious. When Tim discusses training and racing, you can’t avoid feeling pumped up and motivated for the season!
Pete Webber has led clinics for years and has developed a well-organized curriculum that packs a lot of instruction into a 1 day mini-camp. Focused on the keys to ‘cross success, Tim & Pete will take you thru a step-by-step process that includes their best tips and tricks. Check out these testimonials about Pete’s coaching.
We’ll end the day with a complete review and give you a take-home handout to remind you of the essential lessons learned and your priorities for improvement.
The only way you’ll learn Tim’s cyclocross secrets is to attend this mini-camp! (Or you could kidnap Tim and torture him, but the camp will be easier.)
New York City
When: Saturday, June 28, 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
Where: Cunningham Park, Queens
Who: All abilities, but several years of bicycling experience required
Cunningham Park offers a wide range of terrain that’s perfect for skills practice. Grassy hills, flat fields, singletrack, and other features. Our meeting location in the park will be determined soon.
These camps are best for riders with some cyclocross racing experience. But don’t be intimidated, cyclocross beginners are welcome and you don’t need to be a speedster to enjoy this camp. We’ll divide into groups based on ability.
You must have a USA Cycling license, or purchase a $10 one-day license at registration.
What: Instruction will include…
- The dismount and remount sequence: how to be faster and smoother
- Portaging: carrying and shouldering the bike like a pro
- Bike handling, ride better and faster no matter the conditions
- Cornering, learning fast lines and proven techniques
- Off-cambers and other tricky terrain
- Barriers & run-ups
- Race starts and holding your position
- Equipment selection and set up, pro secrets
- Tires and tire pressure, the most important part of your bike
- Race day preparation, keys to being prepared
- Solutions to common mistakes (we all make ‘em)
- Race craft: putting it all together
- Stories from Tim’s career in the mud (heckling encouraged)
Scholarships: Thanks to Tim Johnson’s MudFund we are pleased to offer several scholarships to each event for athletes ages 14-19 (female & male). To apply, send an email to email@example.com describing how a scholarship to the camp would help you reach your cyclocross goals. Include the event you are applying for, your name and contact information, CX race age for 2014, actual age, racing category and brief racing history. For riders under 18 actual age, please include your parent’s contact info. Please apply as soon as possible, final deadline for applications is 14 days prior to each camp.
- Professional instruction from Tim, Pete and additional guest coaches
- Lots of fun and laughs
- Cold hydration by Red Bull and SkratchLabs
- Picnic lunch and mid-morning snack included!
- Participant schwag
- Take home hand-out for cracking the code
- Motivated for cross season!
- A tuned-up cyclocross bike
- Helmet and riding kit
- Camp will be held rain-or-shine, come prepared for the conditions that day
- What tires? CX clinchers are best, but tubulars are fine too. Most riding will be on grass and trails.
USAC License(If you don’t have a USAC license, you can purchase a $10 one-day license at the event.)
Prepare for Camp:
- Do at least 4 training rides on your ‘cross bike before camp, including trails
- Do at least 2 dedicated ‘cross skills sessions to get your mojo working
- Get your bike tuned up and adjusted so it is working well
- Think about your strengths and weaknesses and come prepared with questions
Cancellation Policy: If you need to cancel, please let us know at least 72-hours before camp to receive a refund.
Questions? Contact Pete at 303-562-7510 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What people are saying…
“Your team put on a great event and I learned a ton….within an hour of starting the day I was thinking “I’ve already gotten my money’s worth!” And that was still while we were in the beginner stuff! Great stuff.” –Kristen
“I left that day feeling so elated and relieved that I’d finally learned so many of the skills that just baffled me for years. Years. Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaarrrs. I’m just thrilled and wish I had taken one of your camps like 2 years ago. So thank you very, very much. I totally feel like a different racer.” — Katie
“The coaches were great, lunch and snacks were perfect, equipment discussions, individual and group coaching, venue, …everything was really well done. Thanks again.” — Brad
“Being chased down today by Tim as he yelled encouragement before he dusted my ass has been the highlight of my CX career.” — Newt
“I thought your camp was great and I had my best cyclocross season ever after attending it — and had to upgrade to 2 because I had so many points!” — Michele